Our New Zealand wedding reception/We Got Married! party is tomorrow!
I’ve been trying to keep it low key, even more so than the actual wedding, which means I was banned (sort of) from DIY projects. But in the end this week I just had to make something. Using stuff I already had I decided to whip up a cute and colorful bunting for the party.
I love bunting but have never made it before. Add to that the lack of sewing skills and very little time and bunting seems like a disaster DIY project. However, I did a very easy, very fast no sew felt bunting that took very little time (relatively) and looks cute.
Colorful No Sew Felt Bunting
I chose this project because I had lots of unused felt laying around. Felt is pretty inexpensive as well, though the bunting won’t be as durable as fabric bunting. It’s still a fun and easy way to make bunting. The following steps will explain how to create it.
1. Gather your felt. You can buy cut squares or yardage or just use scraps.
2. Create a triangle pattern and use it to cut out shapes of felt. You don’t have to use a triangle if you want a less cohesive look or are just really good at cutting similar size triangles out.
3. Cut triangles. Cut more. And more. Stack them in piles. Then cut more.
4. Lay out your triangles in a pattern you want for the bunting. Or just shuffle up your piles. It doesn’t matter much since with bunting random is better.
5. Glue one side of ribbon to triangles at the top with a layer of craft glue. Let dry for several hours or overnight. (I used some big clothespins to hold the ribbon and felt together during the drying process. This probably isn’t necessary but I feel it might have helped.)
6. Hang your bunting!
I told you this was the easiest bunting craft project! Cut, glue, dry, hang! Easy!
For such an easy and inexpensive project I think it looks adorable hanging in our living room. Once I get some better photos of it outside I’ll share those too.
For now I’m just enjoying a more festive living room than normal. It will definitely make the party look a little more cheerful! :)